Thread: 10-20 heads-up
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Hello,Glen! Your hand is...

Bull,

Keep in mind that this was not a heads-up situation, but a heads-up game. 10-20 with a 1 dollar ante and a five dollar bring-in. Blind-stealing is a very important part of this game. One of the most profitable blind-stealing situations in this game, besides raising with an ace, which takes the bring-in most of the time, is when your opponent brings it in with nine or above, and you raise with a higher card, as in this example. Some people limp more often than others, but I almost always come in for a raise here. In a ring game, if a low card raises, I might re-raise to play the hand heads-up (provided there are no aces who limped or are behind me) depending on the players, their raising standards, position, etc. In this case, I'm trying to decide whether I should limp even though it will alert him to a strong holding, or if I should hope he has a reasonably strong hand. This opponent would call with a queen, maybe a pocket pair of jacks or tens, a three-flush with an ace, etc. because he knows that my raise does not mean a pair of kings, and it's much more probable, in fact, that I don't have one. . . in light of all this, i'm wondering if one should limp simply because he may catch something and pay off a sixth street or river bet. But, if he has something to play with, I may make a lot more, just much less often. . . the question is which might be more profitable?