View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: First hand, BB, top and bottom pair

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking of one of the concepts in the Harrington book which says to maximize inducing mistakes in your opponents by betting the most you think they will call incorrectly, so would it be better to encourage more mistakes from them by betting the 400? Or what reasons are there to decide that winning it right here is inherently more important than maximizing the mistake in your opponent?

Or am I misinterpreting HOH?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're saying that pushing would prevent your opponents from making the mistake of calling, but C/Ring it to 400 would allow them to make the mistake of calling, I don't think you're misinterpreting HOH. However, I don't think HOH's advice is suited for a Party STT, because the stacks are so short and the blinds rise so quickly. Harrington's advice applies more easily to a MTT when you have a larger stack to play with so you aren't crippled if you lose the hand to a draw that hits. You have to decide what is more important for you right now - picking up the pot in front of you (which will lead you to push and hopefully get all draws that have a reasonable chance of beating you to fold, but will minimize the amount you might win), or by trying to induce your opponents to make mistakes by calling when they don't have the odds (problem here is that if the draw hits, you're crippled).

Personally, I go for the push (and hope to get called by an underpair) because I want to increase my starting stack by 50% and don't mind if the draws fold to me.

ts-

[/ QUOTE ]

while an absolute gem of a book, harrington's reccomendatioins on the stt's do not work well in party's structure.