View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: A situation I struggle with

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Throwing in the extra $3 not only gives you an opportunity to steal the antes, but it also defines your hand better. If the king or Queen raises to $10 you can simply fold knowing your beat the majority of the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with this is that many players will just call you with a higher up-card, and then you know nothing. Some fish might be calling you with 9h10dQs or similar crap; he might also be calling with split Qs though. Then what do you do? Give him a bunch of free cards? Bet all the way, only to discover he had the queens after all? I’ve been there, and I didn’t like it.
On the other hand, if somebody limps in with a ten up and the players with the higher up-cards are solid players that will either raise or fold, it might be worth it; especially if the limper will call to the river with tens for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one likes being behind, but its a gambling game where your going to have to take a risk or two. Also you just cut out a quote from me about completing in this instance. If you reread my post you will see I advocated folding, then completing, and then calling. And for this specific structure that beta plays (5-10 on party) that is the correct advice. In other games and ante structures it can vary. Also, most all good and bad players are making it $10 with split queens in party's 5-10 game. If I were to complete in this 5-10 game and were just called by the Queen behind me, I would usually reason it was a 3-flush or some crap like 9 T Q like you said. I would then bet or check fourth and fifth streets accordingly based on what my opponent caught.

Mike Emery