View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Difficult Draw Tournament Decision

I'll make this post here rather than the MTT forum because none of the regulars there play draw, I presume.

There was a very interesting hand at the final table of the €25/rebuy draw event on Sunday at 24h. I had been running well and had been chip leader for most of the tourney and reached the final table in 1st place with almost half the chips. Then I went card dead and started getting blinded down, but still in the lead. We were down to 4 players when the hand occured. The winner would get €450, 2nd place €300, 3rd place €180, and 4th €120.

UTG (who had already won the Omaha/8 event earlier that day at 24h and is a good tournament player) was short-stacked and went all-in in first position. This player was at the point where he knew he had to push with anything decent. The button was in 2nd chip position (almost as many chips as me) and raised. I was in the SB and had QQQ. I reraised. The big blind then re-reraised, putting himself all-in. The button then pushed all-in. If I call and lose, I'm crippled and will have just enough to cover 1 round of blinds.

As far as reads, all of the players are solid, tough players-no fish left. The BB is maybe a bit too loose.

Do you:
(a) laydown QQQ since it is likely that either the button, the BB, or both are pat, leaving yourself with an average stack if the BB wins and at more than a 2-to-1 chip disadvantage if the button wins and knocks the other two players out,
or (b) call and win the tournament with a 3 player KO if QQQ is actually good or you draw a boat or quads. If you call and lose, you will be left with barely enough chips to pay one round of blinds.

I'll post what I did and what everyone had later.