View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Mr. Kiesling forgets

"Are you guilty of the totalitarian tendency of disgust toward any expression of dissent?"

Please check all weapons and hyperbole at the door. If you read carefully what I said, I expressed no "disgust toward any expression of dissent." Just the opposite. Mr. Kiesling, or any former diplomat can express any opinion they wish. But when they represent the people of the United States, they must espouse the views of the elected representatives of the people of the United States. (And, no, I don't wish to turn this into a debate about Florida or the Electoral College.)

Secondly, freedom of expression is NOT freedom from criticism. If Mr. Kiesling is free to criticize President Bush over foreign policy differences, I am free to criticize Mr. Kiesling for boorish behavior. And, if he and I are free to do so, you are free to criticize my criticism. But, please use real arguments, not name calling. Because, after all, your right to speak does not create in me a corresponding obligation to listen.

BR