View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Easy Preflop Question 3/6

There are three arguments in favor of capping. First, players who are close to being all-in will raise/3-bet lighter than they would otherwise. Second, we have a UTG poster which both increases the amount of money in the pot AND increases the chances that the other are raising light. Finally, even if we are dominated, it will not be as costly as it would if we were in the position of pouring more money in on later streets with a second best hand. We are, in esssence going to be getting free cards to draw out on the hands that dominate us, if they are there. (Of course, this works both ways.)

The only time capping is a big mistake is if one of our opponents has a pocket pair bigger than 9s and the other holds an ace. If they both hold Ax (and one dominates us), we are only slightly behind pot-equity wise.

So I guess the answer to the question depends on the opponents. Are they steaming? Did they just lose a big pot and are now looking to lose the rest and quit? If I thought that was even a possibility, I would probably go ahead and cap it. Otherwise I would throw it away and not feel bad about it.