View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: $10+1: Steal now to preserve future FE?

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I need to clarify my use of the word "desperation."

[/ QUOTE ]

You're overanalyzing, and I think I still disagree. Desperation is still emotional, like it or not. You are seeking ways to increase your stack, rather than ways to increase your opportunity, or increasing $EV. You can increase your $EV, for example, by folding and letting others 'fight it out.' You may think that your stack is desperate, but those are your thoughts, as your stack is an inanimate object. If you knew you had a 50% chance of doubling up here or be out (with no further thoughts on the future outcome of the tourney), or you could fold to ITM, what would you take?

My point is, whether you're desperate, or your inanimate stack is desperate, look around. Do you think your stack is having these feelings in isolation? Start thinking in a bigger picture. Quit looking at just yourself. My guess is that BB, UTG, CO, and perhaps Button are all feeling the same way. And that MP1 and SB are already counting their money. One or more mistakes are about to happen. Will it be yours?

AT this point, still being 7 handed, your objective this round is to end up with an extra 300 chips or more by the end. You will very likely do this one of three ways. You steal once, and your BB is folded back to you. Or you lose that BB, and steal twice. Or, you call someone's push and win. You have 10 hands to decide. Are you thinking 10 hands ahead? Where are your best opportunities? And quit thinking about your cards. If you had AJs here, then yeah, push, that's easy. But 89 is just as strong as 23 here.

Then, think ahead some more. If someone goes out before the 10 hands are up, the very first 200/400 blinds will be you. Now what are your thoughts?

How often are you paying attention to this? I often find myself pointing my finger to the people on the screen to figure out how much "time" I have between blinds.