View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 04:01 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Is There Any Hope For REAL Poker (i.e. Hold Em Is Killing Us)

[ QUOTE ]
IMO bridge is a much more interesting game than poker.

But who cares what I think? Or what you think? As long as our primary card-playing objective is winning money, the fish will decide what game we are going to play.

Read the literature. Poker games where the good players have too large an advantage eventually die. Your desire for a much larger advantage is equivalent to wishing for the fish to almost never win.

People won't keep coming back to a game where they always lose. You can sheer a sheep over-and-over, but you can only butcher it once.

PS: Enjoy NL ring hold'em while it lasts. The good players probably have too big an edge for it to remain popular in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent points. But, the fish can and do win in a game like 7-stud. They chase, street after street, looking for that miracle card (as evidenced when I had three 9's on the board and this guy had 8/5 of spades showing and 4/7 in the hole and was chasing his one out for the straight flush)

Their chasing usually wins them a pretty big pot, so they're always chasing those big pots, and usually paying you off except for the occassional hand or session where they crush you.

You're giving the fish way too much credit when you talk about them up and leaving a game. They love the action, they enjoy betting and betting and raising, it's entertainment and excitement for them, it's not about the money (I've had people drive over an hour to my home game to play for 20 bucks, crazy, but they do it)