View Single Post
Old 02-14-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Thanks again, could you give examples of their tricks!

When the smoke clears, two players are left standing in a big pot on the river. One flopped four aces. The other a flush draw (drawing dead).

The 4 aces comes out betting, the busted flush draw raises (as a bluff). The dealer does not announce the raise. Thinking he was just called (& not raised), the player wih 4 aces tables his hand face up but in a forward motion. The cards fly a little too far and touch the muck (though still face up). The busted flush starts screaming that the 4 aces are dead and demands a floor ruling.

Some people feel that something like that is just business as usual. I think it's an angle shot.
I could give a lot more examples but that's just off the top of my head.

Angle shots happen at all card rooms. It's just that at a few rooms , the regulars seem to want to use every trick in the book to stack a few extra chips.

It's MOST unfortunate when they take shots at players who are new to the game.

Of course, one man's angle shot, is another man's bread & butter, so what seems like an angle to me, might be perfectly fine with someone else.

Case in point:

Vince posted something he did in a tournament a while back that he later felt a little uneasy about.
I thought it was a clear, cut & dried angle shot. So did Lee Jones and Daniel Negreanu (btw, Dan did not post in that thread, we talked about the hand later).

Fossil Man & Ray Zee (and just about everyone else in the thread), thought there was nothing wrong with what Vince did. I have the highest respect for Fossil Man & Zee so it just goes to show; sometimes an angle is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, Vince's situation was something like....him and another player were all-in, in a no-limit tournament. The other player (who had Vince beaten badly) turned his cards over for a second before remembering that a hand can be ruled dead in that situation (there may of been another player in the pot who had one chip left or such also). The player who exposed his cards for a second said, "what happens now?" Or words to that effect. Vince says (seeing he is badly beaten and about to be sent to the rail), "I think your hand is dead!" And demands a ruling. The whole table is upset with Vince, most at the table feel he is taking a shot (angle shot). They all have to wait, and wait..for the floor to show up several minutes later.

The floor ruled against Vince, btw.
To his credit, he felt uneasy about the whole thing and posted the situation for feedback.

Best of Luck

Howard