View Single Post
Old 02-11-2003, 04:33 PM

Default Re: 20 The Newbie Chronicles: Dynasty+Clarkmeister in Vegas

"If you look at the way he has set this all up - breaking it down into 3 6-month periods, a clearly defined budget for each phase, clearly defined goals for each phase - it would be extremely easy to write a how-to book when he's finished"

Sure, its easily converted into a how to book. That doesn't make it an efficient and correct how to book. In fact, the topic doesn't require a book, it requires about a 1-2 page essay.

As an example, my girlfriend started to learn how to play a little while ago. I love her to death, but she is nowhere near as bright as mdlm. She has spent a tiny fraction of the time mdlm has on learning how to play and essentially refuses to analyze her play in any serious manner.

I also have little doubt that her EV in a live 4-8 game or an online 1-2 game is significantly higher than mdlms.

It seems to me that mdlm decided on the correct "how to learn" strategy before he ever started. This is evidenced by his rigid adherance to his initial goals, even though he has been repeatedly informed that they are misguided. He has ignored advice from quality well intentioned people on this site that would have rapidly increaded the pace and quality of his learning. I think the comparison in poker development to my girlfriend is a testament to this.

He is a very nice and very smart guy. I also think he is proceeding in an incredibly inefficient and ineffetive path relative to his stated goal. For those who forgot, I quote him below from his post on Oct 1.:

"I have decided to try to become a semi-pro poker player within eighteen months.

In particular, my goal is to make $1,000 per month for three consecutive months before March 30, 2004. I estimate that the probability that I will succeed in this quest is less than 3%." - mdlm 10/1/02

If that is indeed his goal, then he is really way behind. Not behind his goal, but behind where he should be. He should be very close to accomplishing this goal already, and I would argue he has done very little towards actually achieving his desired result. I also think his % chance of success should be significantly higher, perhapse as high as 90+%. How he came up with 3% I have no idea, but he is certainly IMO proceeding in a manner consistent with minimizing his chances.