View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 01:20 PM

Default A question about slow playing

I have read in an article by David Sklansky that one of the biggest mistakes that players make is slow playing too many hands. I did it last night in a couple of situations and while it worked out very well for me I wonder how smart the play was.

I was in a the small blind of 1-4-8-8 hold'm. I had 4,5 suited. I limped in for no extra bet with 5 other players. The flop came 7,5,5. My initial thought was to bet but I was early and I wanted to see what kind of action I was getting, (fearful of someone limping in with a pair of 7's). One person raised, (the same guy who had been raising everything all the time all night and the same guy that was called down trying to steal once). I called his raise. The 4 came on the turn. I had the boat and I know in Hold'm the boat is huge but still I was fearful of the boat 7's over. I did bet 8 everyone folded but the initial raiser who called. When he called me I knew he didn't have it. River came k, I bet 8 thinking he didn't raise preflop so I doubt he had a king, I put him on more of a mid to low pair or connector. I took down the pot as all he had was two pair,(7's and 4's I think).

Was I wrong not to raise after the flop with trips?

I don't mean to make this too long but there was another situation as well.

I was in the big blind and I limped in with Q,9 unsuited with 6 other players. The flop came 6,9,Q. I had top two pair but I checked. The same guy as above bet. I called as did two other players. The next card came a Q I checked, the same guy raised, I check raised him, everyone else out, he came back all in for I think another 3 I called. Next card came a 2. He had A Q I had the boat.

I figure in this situation I was wrong not betting or at the very least check raising the top two pair. My thoughts were two-fold. I didn't want to bet from the early position because I wanted to see if there was a set out there and I knew it wouldn't make it around the table without at least one bet. My other thought was if I check raised I would only make 4 more dollars as everyone except the one guy would have folded. When the queen came I knew that the one guy that was left would stay and bet so I figured from the early position going for a check raise was the call. I guess my mistake here, even though it worked out, was not blowing him and everyone else out early so that didn't draw out on me.

I appreciate any thoughts on these two slow plays that I did.