View Single Post
Old 02-05-2003, 12:17 AM

Default More News Media Propaganda

After I got home from the dentist today, I turned on the tube and watched ABC and BBC news. Today on ABC they broadcast the interview done by a british journalist with Saddam Hussain. Saddam clearly stated that he has no weapons of mass distruction and no ties to Al Qaeda. That was expected. The same interview was broadcast on BBC. What ABC did today was go to the Pentagon and ask Rumsfeld his reaction. Rumsfeld stated that Saddam has stated that the evidence Powell will present tomorrow is false. What surprises me is that Saddam did not mention any of this in the interview. So, is Rumsfeld already putting words in Saddam's mouth. Anyway, the whole point here is our government using the press to influence opinion. Even if Saddam had some weapons of mass destruction, the inspectors would find it and have most of it destroyed like in the past. But, is that a reason for a super power like the US to destroy a nation. Other countries have weapons of mass distruction like China. But, are we going to fight a war with them?

There are other reasons why the US wants this war and it has not much to do with weapons of mass distruction. Like Bush has already said he wants regime change, and I believe that it could only be for economic reasons, not to give Iraqis freedom from Saddam. This has always been the policy of the US in the past, so you only have to look at what went on in Vietnam.

Anyway, my prediction is that the US will start this war with public support from its citizens. I'm sure that Powell's presentation will be carefully crafted to influence additional public support for the war.

If the US succeeds in ousting Saddam and his regime, who will be their to take its place? Are we going in the same direction again like we did with Iran?

All comments welcome.

Mark