View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Cost of Golf - Rant and Theory

First tee is a program that tries to bring golf to city kids. It is organized and they have little golf holes and group instruction and stuff. I think it is probably a good idea, but I don't know all the details. I saw it last summer when I went to play one of the muni courses I played on as a kid. I hadn't played there in years, but was in town so I played a couple courses I used to play. One day I played the scruffy urban course where I played a lot of high schol golf where they now have a first tee program. In a way these courses are great. They are cheap and decent courses. Both are busy. Too busy probably. They have worked hard to organize the administration of the muni courses in that city and have spent more money on maintenance. So the courses are more popular and harder to get on, and there is increased demand due to population growth and golf's popularity. And they cost more than they used to, but are cheap compared to new courses. Anyway, that is a long way of saying I thought it was ironic that with all the "improvements" kids had a First Tee program, but when I was a kid we could go play all day. 18 holes was like 4.75. An annual pass was cheap. I think 300 for unlimited golf on any city course on weekdays or something. It wasn't uncommon to spend whole days on the muni courses. Play a round or two, practice, etc.... Now it seems to take more effort to get a time and the kids have to have a program. It is good they get better and more organized instruction for the young kids, but I wouldn't trade the ability of a kid to go hang out all day and play. So the clubhouse is nicer and the maintenance is better, but...