View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Investment Banking

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, investment banking does sound intimidating. Are the hours really 90+ a week? I might be able to handle 70-85 hrs, but 90+ seems totally insane. I'm in high school right now but am going to attend Wharton this fall. I have been thinking about becoming an investment banker, but the stuff I've heard about this field of work is very discouraging. Is this line of work really as bad as people seem to make it out to be?

Also, if you're an investment banker, I'd like to know what was your major in undergrad? I'm deciding between finance and economics right now. Is one more ideal for ibanking?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you enjoy what you're doing, you probably won't find it to be that bad. My friend who's an analyst for Merrill finds the actual financial work he does intellectually stimulating, so he enjoys it (and is able to tolerate all the stupid stuff he has to do and the long hours).
My college didn't have a "Finance" degree, so if one was interested, the only choice was Economics. Really, you should wait to make any decisions about possible majors until your get to Wharton (congratualtions on that, by the way) and then talk to your advisor, they'll be able to give you course advice better than anyone else.