Thread: Some thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2002, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Some thoughts

I am a novice, and I post "advice" on many threads. I do it because I want to force myself to put my ideas into words. There are two ways to learn... one is reading a problem and then reading the solution... and another is reading a problem, coming up with your own solution and writing it down, and then being accountable for what you have said. I find that when you just read the solution (in poker or really any other subject) that you tend to say, "sure, sure, I understand," but haven't really internalized the answer. That's why I write my answers down. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If a more experienced poster replies to me and tells me I'm an idiot, so be it. I may have an ego in some things, but I certainly don't have a poker ego. There are many things I still don't understand about the game... and being told that my thinking is wrong is just the thing I need to get better.

What I truly don't understand are the people that complain about the poor quality of "advice" on the forum... especially the ones that resort to name-calling and personal attacks (not you, vehn... others). They complain that inexperienced players are giving poor advice and that the "quality" of the site has deteriorated. Anyone who spends a day or two reading threads on this site knows who the experienced posters are and who the novices are. If the fact that not every member of this community is an expert and here to give top-notch advice 24/7 bothers you, then I suggest that you simply not read the posts written by the novices. Why on earth is that so difficult?

I think the fact that you, or anyone else, can post a hand on this site... and have that hand analyzed by Mason or Ray Zee or any number of other accomplished, excellent players is a true gift. I personally intend to use that gift as it is intended and try, within the rules of the game, to get the most out of the site. I hope you continue to as well, vehn.