View Single Post
Old 12-20-2002, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Taking one step further

Most players know that they have to move beyond playing just the strength of their hand to succeed at poker. One way to do so is to start thinking about how to play against each player. I have found this method to be somewhat ineffective because it is based on how you perceive that player. A player can then adjust his play and leave you in total bewilderment. What he cannot adjust so easily is his perception of you. So basing your play on how you think your opponent sees you, will be a more effective way to determine how you play him. I will use 3 players to illustrate my point. Adam, Bob, and Carl

1) Adam. This guys seems to always call you to the river no matter what kind of hand he has. He will drive you nuts on days when you are missing draws or raising hands. Why does he do it? He hates to be bluffed and thinks that you bluff alot. Therefore, hitting any piece of the board means he should call you all the way. Now, how would you play against a player who sees you this way??

Bob: Will call your raises but only 3 bet with a monster. He then will check and call unless he hits big. Why? He respects the types of hands that you raise with and doesn't want to get caught in a raising war unless he's certain he has you beat. How would you play a guy who sees you this way

Carl: Raises you every chance he gets. Often shortens fields to get heads up with you. Why? He sees you as weak tight and thinks that he can outplay you in almost all situations. What can you do to beat this guy?

Poker players can see you in many different ways and how they perceive you will dictate how they will play against you. If you take note of how they are playing you, you will soon know their perception and also how to play against them.

Hope this is helpful, good luck.

Larry