View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 12:43 PM

Default Re: One Year of Poker

a couple observations:

I strongly recommend only playing one table at a time when you move up - your post seems to indicate that you play two at a time. fine for limits you feel confident playing, not so if you are unsure.

re #2 above:
when you play chess, you are always trying to get into your opponent's head. as you move up limits in poker, this skill is paramount. often in low-limits, the MOST involved any of your opponents are, is thinking what the other players are betting - putting others on hands. as you move up, you'll find that the tough players are always asking themselves, what do my opponents think I have and using that information to manipulate the betting. you must figure out - by matching their betting patterns with the hands they show-down - to what level each of your opponents are thinking to.

so, somtimes your correct play is easy to figure, (you raise your big pair, get called by a straight forward player, bet the turn, and get raised by that straight-forward thinker, you are likely beat), and sometimes the situation is quite murky. It is critical at the table, in my mind, to develop a strong sense of who's turn bets are a reliable indication of hand strength, and who's aren't.

you'll often find that a correct fold with a medium strength hand versus one opponent, should be a raise with the same hand vs. at totally different type of opponent.

spitball