View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: UK Poker boom update

It is very likely that a lot more poker is played than I realised, but I wasnt claimimg it didnt exist, but it has always been by a sort of exclusive club rather than the general public. I realise I am hardly blazing a trail, but you cant claim that poker has ever had any true mainstream existance. This is what I(probably somewhat niavely) think is about to change.

You say there is way too much poker, but it is probably more a function of people who have had no previous exposure getting a chance to watch the last few years tournaments. When I caught the bug I was devouring the tournaments for hours a night but once the same ones start coming round again it starts to get tedious. I know watch virtualy no poker on TV but I think it serve a pi]urpose in spreading the word.

Similarly the new channel sounds very much more of the same WPT reruns etc, but again dont knock it, its a sign of the increasing interest.

Poker still seems underground to me, very few people I know or talk to know anything about it, and its not as if Im stuck away in the backwoods away from the action. What I am talking about is a genuine move into the mainstream and a huge increase in new players.

BTW I think your reference to playing brag illustrates rather than refutes my point. We were playing brag, the yanks have a myriad of exotic varuiations to chose from.

I realise I am inferring a lot from my small and likely skewed sample, but hey I am glad I found the game. The missionary enthusiasm of the newly converted.