View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: how do you let off steam

there really is no quick fix or gimmick that is going to be able to help you. in order to get over a tough beat you must learn to change the way you think...i read something in cardplayer this month that made it all come together. this is a quote from the jennifer harman interview:

If not playing one’s “A” game after falling way behind due to bad cards or bad play is a leak in someone’s game, what’s the remedy?

JH: Well, Chip Reese once asked me something that has stayed with me: “Why would you ever get upset over things you can’t control?” So, I try to look at it this way: If I play the hand well and some weird card comes off, it’s like, “Oh well.” But if I don’t play the hand right, that’s reason for me to be upset with myself

as i am in a bit of a downswing myself, i took this to mean this: downswings happen, they are something that everybody deals with (whether in poker or just plain life in general). when you are down is when you need to work the hardest in any aspect of life as i have never met any man who was worth his salt who hasnt been down and gotten back up. your task as a poker player is this...examine your hhs with a fine tooth comb, find out if you are in fact on a bad run as there is an illusion that exists within a poker players psyche (which is what makes losing players come back again and again ) that a bad run is just a result of bad luck instead of bad play. make sure that this bad run is actually due to the fact that you are going in as a total fav and coming out a loser. then blow it off because life is way to short to become upset about something that you cant control.

i hope this helps,

johnny