View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Results of the others and some thoughts

Looks like there were a lot of readers, so I thought I'd post what happened to the players that I described a lot.
The kid I played the two big hands ended up in 8th
Dan Alspach took 2nd.
The player that won the runner-runner hand on the bluff took first. Alan Schein I believe. He also won the $2k in Atlantic City. We played about 5 hours together and were only in one hand together, and not even one blind vs blind matchup. I considered him the scariest player at the table.

I never did a tourney report from the $330 event at Oceans 11, since there were zero interesting hands. Became a pushin contest at level 4. I came in 30th of 270 after going card dead for the last 30 minutes and the two guys to my right getting AK every other hand (literally).

So I played about 16 hours for the week in mid-major tourneys. Took 300th of 670. Would have been a force but lost to a 1 outer.
Then 30th of 270. Then 25th of 170.

One of the things I find interesting is how people say to go far in tourneys you must win your coin flip/pair vs overcards to do well.
In all that time I played a total of two such hands. Both times the other person was allin, and it was around 25% of my chips. Both times the person had limped or cold called a raise, then i basically put them in. really neither of those even should had happened had they played the hands correct.
So, as I have said before, I don't think you need to win 50/50s to go far.

The one thing I will start doing a bit different is changing the amount of chips i am willing to put in preflop on a implied odds hand (baby pairs, connectors).
I usually use the 5% rule. But that more goes for ring games as you can buy back for more. That is a pretty good amount to lose as it could happen 4 times and you hit nothing which can hurt in a tourney. So i'll probably go to around 3% now. There are a few different scenarios where i'd be a bit more liberal, but not for here.

I'll post on my thoughts on Harrah's another time.