View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 AM

Default I knew it...eventually a machine would take my job

I think I speak for all of you guys and girls out there when I say that this is a pretty sad day for those of us who make a living playing SNGs. There's now a bot playing on Party Poker that uses a simple all-in or fold algorithm and is winning at the $20+2 level. Sure, anyone who knows how the bot works can beat the crap out of it, but it's unlikely that the 10,000,000 fish on Party Poker (the same predictable ones who routinely give us their money) will ever notice the bot, nor care about it, let alone be smart enough to min-raise its big blind. It's ROI is probably not much higher than that of an average intelligent monkey playing at Party $20+2, but that's still greater than 0, and it's just a freakin' robot that takes 0 human energy to run.

By my rough calculations, a couple hours of my work 4-tabling $20+2 would be equivalent to about 24 hours worth of the bot working. That means I have to waste 2 hours a day just to make as much money as a robot. I don't think I can handle the emotional stress that this implication brings. In fact, my hands are shaking right now as I type this, and tears are beginning to cloud my vision.

We've already seen jobs like sewing and manufacturing being taken away by robots, and now this. Sucks. I'm going to bed now. I'll be sleeping for 7-8 hours, while some computer programmer's tight/aggressive robot will be doing my job, collecting money from Party Fish. Today, it's just a simple bot that isn't that good at making money. But who knows? If a computer can be programmed to play better chess than the best player in the world, eventually there will be a bot made that can 4-table and have a %50 ROI at the lower limits. Because I'll be the first to admit, my play at these limits is purely formulaic and robotic. It's more like data processing than poker. Oh well, I really do have to sleep now, good night.