View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Books on Omaha 8/b

Ray Zee without a doubt.

A lot of people just don't understand the 2+2 books. They seem deceptively simple sometimes. They give people that "Duh!" impression, that advanced play is going on all the time, in every game, at every limit.

It's not. Sure, Sklansky may have written about the raise on the flop to get a free turn with a draw twenty years ago, and everyone thinks that is SUCH a common play, and going on all the time at even the lowest limits. Just think about it, though, how often do you see it? Rarely, if ever, and that is the MOST often seen "advanced" play.

Underrating 2+2 books is very, very good for my bankroll. I hope players continue to do so. But you who fail time and again to see the value of these books are making a huge error. I implore you to look at these books with a different attitude. Take notes, make columns on a legal pad about some of these plays, listing the times you've seen extremely advanced, positive EV plays in your games. Don't be deceived, look beyond what you think is so obvious.

Even at the lowest limits possible, Ray's book holds the key to a winning strategy. He doesn't mince words, you really can play by rote, on the Internet, and buy some essentials at even the microlimits. Just because it is "so easy" doesn't mean it's not the best strategy.

I did a three-way chop last September in a $1500 buy-in O8 tourney. Zee's work was responsible for this, not Cappelleti's or Krieger's. I'm not putting them down, I'm simply saying that if you do not own Ray's book, or if you are underestimating it, you are doing yourself a huge disservice, while doing me a huge favor. So get that book!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]