View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Books on Omaha 8/b

I don’t think any of the O8 books out there are that good, to be honest.

Tenner/Krieger is best at laying out the pure basics for a complete beginner, and giving simple “do this” instructions. After that its crap. Well organized, but lots of useless info.

Capelletti’s is best for covering the full range of O8 play. It lays out the basics, which hands to play, covers some of the essential odds, covers some important situations and whys, and has some advanced topics. It also has good statistics sprinkled throughout, and has “here’s me playing this hand and why in several scenarios”. I would say this is the single most valuable book of the lot, but that’s not saying much. Unfortunately, it is very disorganized and hard to find all the good info, and it requires a few reads to get there.

Zee’s book is very good, but it is what it says it is -- for advanced players. It is more a list of “here’s a fairly specific situation and what you should do/think about”. Those are good and helpful, but only for someone who is fairly familiar with both general poker concepts and O8 specific play.

Warren’s book is helpful for giving lots of examples of “here’s a low board/high board --what hand is best?” if you want some practice reading boards. Worth a quick scan in a bookstore at most.

Other good sources to learn are Hutchinson’s Omaha point count system (good for fiddling with various hands to see how playable they are), Steve Badger’s website (pretty good overall), Annie Duke’s website (a few good articles here and there), and Capelletti & Krieger’s Cardplayer articles (worth a read).

Haven’t read Hellmuth’s book but if its at all like his other two books its not worth more than a quick bookstore scan at best.

Haven’t read Bill Boston’s book.

My advice to someone getting started would be, in order: 1) Read Tenner/Krieger’s section on what hands to play and how to play some flop situations which is maybe <20 pages (while in a bookstore). 2) Read the free online articles, 3) play a bunch, 4) buy and read capelletti, 5) after you’re ready, buy and read Zee

--Greg