View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Playing pattern Question?

The warm up issue is quite real, especially for people who have to travel. When I lived about 85 miles from Atlantic City, I found that I did not play well right after driving there. In fact, I ultimately decided to check into my motel, take a nap, then play. My results got much better.
Another possibility is that you play too many hands and rely heavily on your ability to read people. An A,B, C player does not need that much reading ability, especially not at the lower limits. It takes you time to get a sense of who they are and how they play, and you need that sense if you are playing a lot of hands.
A good friend who lived even further from AC than I very frequently started with serious losses, but did very well overall. His game was semi-loose, very aggressive, which means it was heavily dependent upon reading people.
My suggestion is that you play much tighter when you first arrive. Get a sense for the game before you start making moves, pass up marginal hands and use that time to learn about the other players.
My friend, Barry Tanenbaum, said at our Poker Discussion Group that we should get in the habit of sitting out for a complete round by sitting down behind the button and waiting for the big blind. Several excellent players agreed.
Regards,
Alan