View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 PM

Default I Hate Stupid People On Amazon.com (SSHE Discussion)

I recently took the advice of many and bought myself a copy of SSHE and things have been going great since. My sample size right now is small, but I can just see the great turn-around in my game.

Some of the reviews I read of these morons anger me. The first rocket scientist that pissed me off is from Pittsburgh so if anyone wants, I can take him out [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's some quotes from his review :

"I have two major problems with the book. First, the authors basically assume that low-limit Hold'em games are played by complete and utter morons. People who have absolutely no concept of solid play, pot odds, outs, etc. Because of this, the authors also assume that every low-limit Hold'em game is extremely loose, with players who raise preflop with T8 and are called by 6 people on every hand. I hate to be the one to tell the authors this, but most people who play poker would like to make money."

This genius fails to understand one major key of this book that is detailed in the "Using This Book" section. The book never says all holdem players are morons, it says this book is assuming many of your oppenents play poorly. I believe in general most people do play poor, but you have to be able to recognize when they're a poor player and when they're not.

Next quote from the boy genius :

"Second, the authors assume you have a limitless bankroll. They suggest (I swear I'm not making this up) that you continue to call even if you suspect you're drawing dead if the pot is large. Right. Like I have money to just throw away when I know I'm beat and can't improve. They propose that calling only costs you 1 or 2 bets, while folding could cost you the whole pot. I'll give you a minute to stop laughing. I don't know about you, but I don't have the kind of money where I can just continue to bet and bet because my hand has a positive expected value of $.03 in the long run. There is no long run if I blow $50 on a hand drawing dead."

While he laughed when he read what Ed wrote, I laughed at what this guy wrote. The calling when you believe you're beat isn't that radical of an idea. In a big pot for you to call a bet to see the results of the hand makes since. You're not expecting to win the hand 50% of the time, but if the pot's $100 and you got to call $8, that would mean you would only have to win 1/12 for it to be a profitable call. We all have those showdowns won where you think you might be beat but your oppenent shows you cards and you say to yourself "WTF were they thinking?"

There's a lot of other morons giving reviews on there too but I'm sick of typing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]