View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: O8 Flopped Set, Correct Fold on Turn?

Pre-flop: I don't like open posting here. If you're in late position that's a different story, but up front you might as well just wait 2 hands and save yourself from paying the extra big blind.

Flop: 08 can be weird... this is one of those times. You've flopped a set, but your hand actually isn't very good. I'd probably call too in this spot if the game was passive because the pot is pretty big, but I'd fold to any serious action. If the game was aggressive I wouldn't think twice about mucking.

Turn: This card devalues your hand quite a bit IMO. You could be against a higher set or a flush, and even if you are best at the moment any card that doesn't pair the board (except a 9) makes either a low or a straight possible. To make matters worse, the bet is coming from your right so you could easily get caught between the bettor and the raiser. I think you made the right play by folding.

River: Rabbit hunting shows that your hand would have scooped, but this doesn't mean you should have stayed in the pot. If you come from a hold 'em background (like me) you've probably seen many cases where you would have won a monster pot if you stayed in with a longshot draw you didn't have odds to play. As I'm sure you know, just because the right river comes doesn't mean you should have called on previous streets.