View Single Post
Old 11-01-2002, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Attn: Excellent Hand Analyzers

Raising on the button with any Ace is pretty standard in a heads-up game. I would open with a raise with that hand against any opponent more or less every time. That he bet into you on the flop is a little odd. Most players will go for a check-raise in this situation rather than bet out most of the time. The only reason not to raise is if you decide it's better to wait and pop it on the turn. Myself, I bet and raise so much early in a hand that I may as well raise when I actually have something. Your two pair is very strong. Of course your river bet has value. Why wouldn't your hand be good? Two pair holds up all the time in full games; why wouldn't it hold up heads-up?

Your "average tight pro" isn't going to be playing tight heads-up. You've got to play pretty loose in a heads-up situation, and pros who don't adjust well to short-handed games avoid them (otherwise they couldn't be pros anymore).

From his standpoint, I would have gotten another bet or two in at some point. I usually three-bet pre-flop with AQ heads-up, and I probably would three-bet the flop or check-raise the turn.

You're teaching this guy, are you? What exactly are you teaching him?