View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Anyone else amazed by this Bonds story?

I don't think I have to point out the obvious, that the era we are currently in is unprecedented in terms of big-time power numbers. Since 1993 the homers being hit have been ridiculous. 57 homers today is NOT the same as 57 homers 40 years ago. You're comparing numbers from 2 vastly different offensive eras. I don't have the numbers with me, but there have been plenty of players before 1990 who have hit 40 homers in a season, and then faded back to mediocre numbers. It happens all the time. Lugo hit 31 homers in 2000, then 57 in 2001... that's not that much different than a player from the past hitting 20something homers, then going off for a 40 homer year. Sometimes things like that just happen.

As for the doubles, I never said that anyone who hits a lot of doubles will start hitting a lot of homeruns. What I said is that many power hitters start out developing their power by hitting a lot of doubles. Usually this happens when they're in the minor leagues, so that they're already hitting homers by the time they get to the majors, but Lugo apparently started a bit late.

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if Gonzalez was on the juice. I think it was just a fluke year. Are you saying that Lugo was taking steroids, hitting 30HR in '99 and 2000, then took a lot more steroids, hit 57HR, and then decided to cut back down, and only hit 28 this year? I think he just had a career year in 2001 and nothing more.