View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Superbowl in Vegas, for a poker player

I usually make it to Las Vegas for the Super Bowl, and I'll again be going this year. Here are some thoughts:

1. The entire city is more packed than usual. Super Bowl weekend ranks up there probably as one of the 3 or 4 most crowded weekends, maybe the most crowded.

2. By Friday night, Las Vegas Blvd. (the Strip) will be almost undrivable due to traffic, except during off hours, like the morning or maybe early afternoon.

3. I've probably watched the Super Bowl in LV in every possible way, i.e. bars, VIP invites (well, once), Sports Books, and "Super Bowls party venues." Personally, I recommend you pay $50 for a ticket to a Super Bowl party that will seat anywhere from several hundred to a couple thousand, and watch the game on a big screen. This way, you only have to show up an hour or so (generally) to get in the door, get some (included, usually) "stadium" food (or better sometimes), then watch the game. If you choose to "get a seat" at a sports book, or a bar, good luck. As a general rule, get there in the morning to get whatever seats are left for the 3:20 kick off. If you're not in a seat by noon, forget it. 10am or 11 am? Maybe you'll find something.

4. In a sports book, EVERY seat will have a "reserved" sign on it. They mean nothing. The guys who yell the most, or who are the biggest, generally get the seats. If you're in a seat it's yours. If you're not, it ain't. End of discussion (usually). That version is a complete pain, I think.

5. The poker rooms on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, will be packed like you've never seen. I like repeating the story of last year when I arrived at the Bellagio on Saturday eveing at around 7 pm, and there were over 150 names on the list for 15-30 hold 'em. How do I know? I counted off the brushes clipboard, just for my amusement! It will be the same at the Mirage. The Orleans won't be quite as bad, but it will, like every venue, be very crowded.

I'll be out there for eight days this year, Monday to Monday. All my non-poker playing buddies role in on Thursday, so it should be another fun year.

Sparks