View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: push or fold under 10 bb\'s rule

At the risk of adding still more complexity, I have another wrinkle. There are cases when you'd prefer to be called rather than just picking up the blinds (e.g. AA). The strategy that Phil suggests (which, correct me if I'm wrong, amounts to putting a short stack, but not yourself, all-in when there is a semi-passive big stack between you) has the added benefit that if you do fold to a big raise from the big stack, you've set some precedent for being pushed off a small raise. Then you can deceptively make a small raise with a premium hand and have a better shot at inducing a push rather than suspicion of trapping. I know that "advertising" at these high limits is not a good idea, but I believe this adds further +EV to the play in the cases where it is appropriate.

I randomly raise about 3x BB instead of pushing about 5-10% of the time when near 10xbb, knowing I will call a push, for a similar reason. If I call a push, everyone sees I made a small raise with a pushing hand. It mixes things up just enough to make my opponents unsure when I make a small raise with a huge hand. Comments on this?

Thanks,
Sean