View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Can\'t Make Myself Play Anymore...

I can relate to what you are going through. I actually have a pretty good job that I enjoy (well, most of the time). But I don't make a lot of money. When I saw all these college kids (and my college days are long gone) on tv, or on 2+2, raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars playing poker, I began to see poker as my ticket to a more comfortable existence. I had played poker as a hobby (and done quite well) for many years, but now I began to think about poker as a part-time job, with thoughts of going full-time one day.

Well from the moment I started thinking of it like a job and not a pasttime, my play deteriorated. I was putting too much pressure on myself. I got very mad when I lost - not because my bankroll couldn't afford it, but because it made me think "who am I kidding, I'll never be a pro".

Once I decided to focus more on other areas of my life, and treat poker as a fun (and profitable) hobby, my play improved. True, I'm not getting mega-rich or quitting my day job. But I've been able to buy myself and my wife some nice extras with my poker winnings, and I enjoy playing much more than I used to.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't try to make it as a pro. But you can't underestimate how tough the swings can be psychologically. It looks easy on tv, but I don't think I have the personality to make poker my living - even if I was good enough (which I'm probably not, but that's another story).

There are many, many ways to improve your life and your situation and make more money. You are young. It isn't "poker or nothing". Best of luck to you.