Thread: Auto Insurance
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2001, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Auto Insurance

What about pedestrians hit by negligent uninsured drivers? What about passengers? I gues you could make passengers assume the risk, but bystanders should not have to assume the risk of being injured by uninsured motorists.

An experiment with "self coverage", albeit with legislative and regulatory intervention is the PIP system states like Colorado implemented. It led to more problems, in my opinion, than states with more traditional systems like my current home state of Idaho.

The minimum liability coverage requirement in most states is astoundingly low. Thus you should make sure you have adequate Uninsured as well as UNDERinsured motorist coverage. People make this mistake accidentally all the time. I did, and should have known better. I got the underinsured coverage added, but I am glad I wasn't wiped out by a joker with 50K liability coverage in the meantime. The money my wife and I spend for uninsured and underinsured coverage is some of the best money we spend. And we carry a big umbrella policy which is cheap if you have homeowner's coverage. But we see people crippled and killed by morons with 25 or 50 k liability (or no insurance) all the time. It's self-defense, which I think you advocate, as even the minimum liability coverage is not enough.