View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 09:32 PM

Default Re: AKAK in a multiway 4th hand

I would still lean towards raising on third street. The Ace makes your hand very strong, and while you'd prefer fewer opponents, I think you still want to get your money in there with the best hand. If your kicker were a 7 or something, then I'd definitely limp.

On fourth street, it is quite likely that you have the best hand. Unfortunately, you don't get paid for having the best hand on fourth street; you get paid for having the best hand on seventh street. You are going to have to show down the best hand. You are familiar with the horse race concept? If you have two pair, and you're heads-up against a flush draw, you are a favorite. If you're in a three-handed pot with two flush draws, you're around even money. If you're in a four-way pot with three flush draws, you become a money underdog. Here, it looks like you're up against a couple of flush draws. Presumably the guy with KJ showing is in trouble. The 33 probably doesn't have trips, but it's still a possibility. That your hand is dead doesn't help matters any. I would probably grit my teeth and call, but I think it's close, and I wouldn't fault anyone for folding in that spot. Three BB is a lot to be throwing after that hand.

The problem with playing on and folding if one of your opponents catches a third suited card is that you're giving them that many more opportunities to win. Both of them probably have flush draws, but if one of them is raising with two pair or a straight draw, you might end up folding the best hand on a later street. This is part of the reason I lean towards folding on fourth the more I think about it. Just don't ever let anyone know you laid down Aces-up on fourth, or you'll never get played with again.