View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Is Poker Socially Useful?: Part I by Alan N. Schoonmaker, Ph.D.

[ QUOTE ]
While I agree with much of the sentiment of the article, Alan presents no actual evidence to support his opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a thesis. Mason also placed a restriction to the length of the articles.

[ QUOTE ]
And as to the assertion that "Because of anti-competitive attitudes, our economy and living standards are at risk. In a few decades America has gone from being the world's largest creditor to the world's largest debtor...", forgive my stupidty, but isn't your national debt rather more to do with budgetary policy than 'anti-competitive attitudes'.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the attitude of anti-competitiveness is surely one of the key driving forces behind sloppy budgetary and monetary policy, is it not? The fact that that America is importing far more than than it's able to export in terms or goods and services now goes down to a micro-economic and fundamental level that something is just wrong. And the heart of that problem severely lies within the competitive spirit.

It may be an area where little literature exists, but to deny it is dangerous.

The primary example, is within the Automobile Industry. For over 20 years Americans had the important dominance in the automotive sector. Yet, in the 80's they lost huge market gains across the world to the Japanese and Europeans. Why? Because the Japanese and Europeans got smart, competed and thrived on it while the Americans sat back and refused to change.

I don't want to go into a thesis here, but without competitivess, the detriment to society is harmful to say the least. When China and Russia when through heavy reform during the 60's and 70's under Communism, competition ceased to exist and the result was chaos, poor quality of goods and services, and an economy in turmoil.

Lawrence