View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Re: The hand that put me on tilt, (need some advice)

I know that you know this, but you can't let your emotions get in the way of your judgment. I think that for many people going on tilt is a way to victimize themselves. "Poor me, I'm so angry because I can't beat bad players," and "I just can't win" attitudes are begging for positive, sympathetic or empathetic reactions. Going LAG is then a form of self-destructive "look at me! help me!" behavior. People want to be comforted when they are losing in anything, even if they say they don't. This is an unconscious reaction to losing that you can't really help feeling, but you can try to control. The more emotionally involved you are with your cards, the easier it will be to go on tilt, so try to distance yourself emotionally from the game. You can sort of train yourself to take moral victories from bad beats, as long as you can be confident that your played your hand well. Another thing I like to do is to focus less on the hand I'm trying to make, and more on my opponents hands- what they have and what they're trying to make. This helps to disctract me from how "unlucky I am" when I start to tilt, and it has the added bonus of making me play better too! All this psycological mumbo jumbo aside, Derek brings up a good point about limits. Moving down might calm the rage. If you can't afford to lose at the limit you're playing, then its just going to cause that much more agravation.