View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Level Increases: Bankroll vs. ROI

[ QUOTE ]
This was a question I asked in another thread that I thought was worth discussing (at least it has benefit to yours truly).

I am questioning the logic behind the consistent comments that you should move up a level based purely on bankroll, especially if you're earning it, vs any other measure. So, for arguments sake, why shouldn't the 'indicator' be more a combination of bankroll and ROI before moving up?

What is a good ROI (per level) that one should shoot for before considering to move up a buyin level? For example a 40%+ ROI on the $10+1s is an obvious sign to move up.

And furthermore, what is the minimum ROI for someone to accept as an obvious sign to not move up per buyin level? For example, if you're achieving a 10% ROI at the $20+2 level, and have reached a $30+3 bankroll, I wouldn't feel confident to move to the 33s.

I ask this because it is usually 'suggested' that you move up a level based on bankroll. I moved into the $30+3 bankroll level in just 33 SNGs after reaching my $20+2 bankroll level. My ROI thus far has been very high. Although the results thus far give me confidence, I am considering to see another 100-170 SNGs before I move up a level. (I lie, I will probably toss in a $33 game here and there)

Comments welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great point that is little mentioned here compared with BR depth. I would base my moving up in buy-in level MORE so on ROI than on my BR....of course ROR is always a consideration and its not to say that BR is therefore not a consideration.

For me, starting out at the 5s on stars (and never tracking anything, just bascially not trying to go broke) I moved up at first based on the fact that I turned 50 bucks into 200. Now, I have decided to merge ROI and BR by always being 40 buyins deep and having a ROI of at least 40% before taking the plunge. Of course, going from say $100 to $200 having a ROI of 40% to move up is unreasonable and ROI reqs should shift slightly downward as stakes increase... however, not to the point of not making it worth the increase in stakes. (ie roi goes down from 40 to 19% with an increase from 100 to 200 level buyin).

I went from 16s on stars to 25s with a roi at 16s of 43% (over 200 tracked). Iveplayed only 43 at the 27s (turbos obviously) with a ROI of 47% so who's to say?

One last consideration is Multitabling vs. stake increase and fine tuning profit by seeing which for you is most efficient in hourly rate...this can be very scientific but on an indvidual basis...IOW i dont think there is any right or wrong way to go about except to try a lot of combinations and see which makes the most loot per hour.

sorry for this longwinded response...

pooh