View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM

Default .5/1 to 1/2 strategy adjustment

I've been trying to get the hang of 1/2 lately, and I'm convinced that my standard .5/1 game (which is making me >4bb/100) is a long-term loser in 1/2.. What I'm noticing is that a lot of the hands I'm used to limping in .5/1, (like suited aces, small PP's, suited paint cards, etc) are getting raised more often by later players. There's a lot of extra aggression in 1/2 that just isn't in .5/1. I'd never want to pay 2 small bets to see flops with these hands, but I am having to do this way more than I'd like to.

So, I could just fold some of these hands PF, but then my VP$IP will get too low. I'm about 17.5 in .5/1, which is already on the tight side. I'm raising just about exactly 1/2 of the hands I come in with. If I'm folding these limp hands earlier, I'd probably be around 13-14%. I need to make them up by playing other hands just to keep my VP$IP stable.

So if I'm folding these limping hands early, then I MUST add more limping hands later, to keep the 17/8 stats where they are. This means limping later with more marginal hands if it's only 1sb to play. Does this sound correct to you players with .5/1 and 1/2 experience?

Lets assume typical 1/2 party game, 2-3 limpers when the action gets to you in the CO or on the BT. You limp with? Suited kings? ATo? A9o? KJo? KTo? Or do you limp the same hands and call the raises? I know my game needs adjustment, but I'm having a hard time determining which direction to go..