View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

Why no reraise from you on 3rd?

First, there's a chance he had aces. Second, it does no good to reraise. In stud, you need to think about winning the pot and just making it bigger will just encourage both of you to go to the river.

Why didn't he reraise you on 4th IF he had aces?

Fourth street is the most interesting part of this hand. I happen to catch a straight flush card. Given that's what I caught, he probably shouldn't bet. Furthermore, when I catch a card like this, if I don't fold, I'm frequently inclined to reraise whether it truly helps me or not. There is now value in representing a different hand (which might easily be a favorite over aces).

WHY did he raise on 5th!? To see if you REALLY had three kings? If you don't reraise he takes over the betting? He takes it over anyway if you check your kings on 6th.

I assumed during the play of the hand that my fourth street raise threw him off a correct read and he assumed that I did not have kings. Thus his aces-up would be a favorite and thus his raise. If I make it three bets on fifth and then check on sixth, there is a good chance he doesn't bet.

Your opponent seems irrational and reactionary, betting and raising on whim as much as reason.

Well, isn't that what you want. I like to think that my raise on fourth street when I caught the straight flus card had something to do with it. But the reality is that he may have started with aces and a king kicker and refused to believe I had made a set of kings.

I don't think he started with aces. I believe he was trying to resteal it from you and then his hand kept improving. Finally he believed you might have three kings, probably after you inadvertly smiled for the first time that night. Or some such tell that reactionary players unconsiously tune in to. Like the reraise.

You might be right, but I think he did probably start with the pair of aces. My making it three bets on fifth street is a fairly strong tell that I actually do have three kings.

Best wishes,
Mason