View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Too weak with QQ?

Lmn55d,

There was a limp, then you raised, and then a person behind you mini-raised. I can not comment to you on what exactly the range of hands the person you are playing would do this with, but it obviously depends on the texture of the game you are playing and your perceptions on the opponent. Often, this line is how a very bad player will play a premium hand. So I do not think a call preflop (versus a raise all-in) is a very bad thing. Often times this min-raise crap is an invitation for you to safely play QQ like 22 and profitably (with implied odds) see a flop for set value only. Of course, whether you play QQ like 22 in this spot depends on the factors I listed above which are inherent to the game you are in. Your decision to push or not preflop should come down to the range of hands your opponent will play like this.

The point is, I do think you need to make a fairly big decision heading into the flop. This does not mean you have to decide if you like your hand, but you have to have some sort of plan for the flop.

If the flop is all uncoordinated small cards, do you feel comfortable committing all your chips? If the flop involves an overcard or two, what will your plan be? Sort all this out before you see the flop, but of course you are definitely allowed to change this plan as you react to the moves of the players on the flop.

But all this stuff I just said really doesn't mean a whole lot, because if your plan involves continuing the hand after an ace flops, and there is a bet and a call in front of you, then I think you need to reevaluate your thinking skills. Stop thinking like a beginner and being results oriented, and formulate an idea about how you want to approach hands and go with those ideas, instead of saying "aww damn I would've won this pot if i had stayed in!"

-Jason