Thread: Pet Peeves
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2004, 05:45 AM

Default Re: More Pet Peeves

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing that pissed me off that I just remembered... I was taking a flight on Southwest which is open seating and I got an isle seat which I really happy about. A few minutes later this middle aged lady got on the plane asked me if I could move into the middle seat so she could have the isle seat. I gave her the seat, which I now regret. What a bitch to ask me to give up my seat! Why should she get it? Damn, I just pissed myself off thinking about that. Basically, I really hate it when people ask you to do something for them but you really cant say no, because if you do you come off looking like an ass. I couldnt say no to the lady and come off looking like a total jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how poker theories apply so well to life. This and the sidewalk/escalator examples are basically like position raises in poker from a loose-agressive player (the person who won't move out of the way on the sidewalk or unexpectedly asks for your aisle seat on an airplane), and you are stuck defending your vunerable blind.

More often than not a real life 're-raise' is called for in this situation, thereby giving yourself a prime opportunity to retain your aisle seat or position on the sidewalk, but in practice most people fold and give up their seat as to avoid confrontations (basically looking like a jerk, as you put it).

If you were to 're-raise', and either 1) not move out of the way on the sidewalk or 2) refuse to give up your aisle seat, more often than not you and the customs that pertain to society will profit from the situation.

Anyone else think this way? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]