View Single Post
Old 02-04-2002, 12:34 PM

Default My Online Poker Experience: What I\'ve Learned

It's 11:20 am and I am sitting in a classroom at my university. I should be listening to what the teacher is saying, but I am not. I'm too tired, and it is too boring. I've just come from an 18hr online session that I decided, win or lose, would be my last for at least a few months. I won, and I just requested a check...almost $5,000 worth. I am relieved, exhauseted, and see cards shooting through my tired brain. This was a much needed run (started with $300) and I can make things right (pay off my credit card bills, have some spending money, and get baack into live action). Here is what I learned:

1) Don't Play at Paradise...While Paradise may have the software and game selection, the games are tight and tough and there are better fish to be had. Are u playing for fun or money?

2) Live a Balanced Life....As easy as it is to put in 18 hrs a day (and believe me, I have), it is a good way to lose all your money AND your sanity AND your relation to the outside world. I am just now starting to mend it. I lost $1800 at Paradise playing all night, being late to work, and being miserable with friends and coworkers. If this is you, take a break. Don't play with scared money (when i did, I lost). DO keep records of other players.

3) Don't stay in a crappy game, don't get into vendettas with other players. Do not play when you are tired (a sure loser). I know a lot of you out there have slept between hands; DONT.

4) Be focused and punish yourself for tilt. I havd over $5000 at one point and blew like $700 on poor play. I punished myself by forcing myself to play 1-2 and tight as hell for three days. Create a punishment for bad play and stick to it. READ AND REREAD S&M, espescially if you play a lot of shorthanded which I did.

Good luck all, it's been a rough ride but I hope to help you with a smoother transition.

D. Gambler