View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Talking smack puts players on tilt?

i like a bit of verbal sparring as much as the next guy, but its all about limits.

one guy was annoying everyone saying 'stinger' after every pot he won, and to be fair he was playing well. but i challenged him with a stung after he lost a pot. after a little arguing we ended up talking about how online poker is fixed (surreal some of the theories, i didnt help by saying i worked for pokerroom and they tell me the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

everyone seemed to like me, got talking, all good humoured joking, when i knocked him out on the bubble he was a nice guy about it, when i beat the rest of the table they seemed happy it was me [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

however when your the guy saying stinger, or i win, after taking down a pot, then you start to single yourself out.

i believe that around half the table notice my tightness at the table. and the other half simply dont notice me. by isolating yourself, everyone notices you, how you play, and furthermore they will think about how they can beat you, to shut you up basicly.

in my opinion, be the nice guy up for a joke, or the guy who no-one sees until youve doubled up off them. dont be the jerk at the table, it has little benefit long term in my opinion.

Phill
ps, what i would like to add here to the people who turn off the chat, is that, certainly for me, some of the info that you can pick up on can be valuable. who plays what and how, who is multitabling (watching TV etc) and not concentrating and who is friends/enemies with whom.

but then i dont get put off by the chat as others seem to, if it improves your results, then thats great, but i dont think its the ultimate answer to how you should play a SnG. in a format where a game lasts <1Hr, you should try and collect all the info available. just my opinion.