View Single Post
Old 09-29-2001, 01:39 PM

Default PP tourneys Vs. Ring games

Hello all! I started playing Low limit tourneys after my recent retirement from the PP ring games and I must say that I am very impressed with something I noticed.

First and foremost, I have noticed that after a few tourneys, it seemed very rare that players would hit the "miracle card" on the river. The better hands seemed to hold up all the time. I was so used to having a big pocket pair and getting slayed. My tasty AK and AQ preflop raises held up when I caught a little of the flop. The usual AQ preflop raise gets beaten out by someone holding T8o by catching runner-runner 88 never materialized.

I know that tourney play is VERY different from ring games and I was hoping for some feed back as to others' experiences with the two games. Maybe I have found my niche on PP and will be able to play with confidence.

There is waaaaay too much money to be made in a PP ring game on an hourly basis is you are playing an angle. Who wants to spend 45 minutes playing in a tourney with a $1-2 entry fee and the most you can make is $100 if your whole "crew" take 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd.

I know I am trying to justify my not playing in those games, but read that last statement again . . . it's true. The people who are after the money are not going to waste time in a tourney for the money. I just want to play, if I was trying to make a living (as some of you do) playing online poker, I would feel compelled to "do onto others before they do it to me." For all of us who love playing cards, I am happy to continue this little experiment.

I also might add that in comparison to our skills, these players are at best counting on luck to win. I won't get too much better, but I get to play cards free of the Jack-ass "Mystery Men" cheating us honest players out of thousands of dollars every week and ruining the reputation of Paradise Poker.

See ya's soon!

G.