View Single Post
Old 11-03-2001, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Whats up with the second guessing?

I still don't get the idea of a "cheap" home run. They don't give you extra runs if you hit he ball 320 or 420. Over the fence is all that counts.

No question Yankee stadium as designed for Babe Ruth. It used to be 296 down the ine and 467 to left center. In the past, the Yankees did try to stock their team with left handed pull hitters (Maris, Reggie Jackson, Nettles, Murcer, to name just a few), but I don't think the current team is built that way. Justice and Tino, their two bigget left handed threats (at elast when they're hitting) are not really pull hitters.

The ballpark has been modified so that it's a little longer down the line (314 I think) and shorter to left center. But the guys who hit the home runs in game 4, Jeter and Spencer, are certainly not players that are on the team with the short right-field porch in mind.

I agree with you that the managers go with their best and let the chips fall where they may. Hell, if Sanders' ball goes another 2 inches the D-backs get two runs or more in the 11th and that's that.

Regardless, I think if the Yankees win the Series they may well be remembered as the greatest team ever. I mean the 1996-2001 teams. Five championships in six years with the three-tiered playoff system would be a phenomenal achievement. Plus the way they've won so many of the games, coming from behind in the lated innings, has been remarkable.