Thread: NL AK hand
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 12:13 PM

Default Re: NL AK hand

David,

Here goes :

Pre-flop I think you should normally charge a bit more with two limpers. Your raise is really defined in terms of the odds it gives your opponents to call. With no limpers, you can make it 60, and your opponents are getting 90-60 (or 50 or 40 in the blinds) to call. With two limpers, now there is 70 in the pot before it gets to you. Put 60 in now and the BB and the limpers are all getting 130-40 on their call - it's too cheap. 3xBB when no-one is in yet should be upped to 5xBB with two limpers, do you see ? In that ballpark anyway.

Flop 200 is OK. Could bet a little more if you want.

Turn this is where I don't like your play, especially considering what you do on the river. You must have a specific reason for making a bet as small as this. "I don't know what to do" is not good enough ! Anyone with any kind of hand can choose to call or raise you at their leisure, note, even anyone who has already checked - you're opening it back up for a check-raise. If anyone was drawing on the flop it can only have been to a straight, and the 2d has missed it. With 2 callers I would probably go all in at this point unless I had some special knowledge about my opponents. Look at all the cards you don't want to see on the river with further betting, below :

River - I really hope you weren't going to go all in if a 6 fell, or a 7, or a J, or a Q, or a Ten, or an 8 - all cards that can make an opponent's hand. As it was you are probably correct that you're only going to get called by a winner.

If you do one thing in these tournaments, just one, it's don't make these undersized bets (and even worse, raises - it makes me feel ill). And if you do another, then don't follow up an undersized bet with an oversized one at the point where your opponent has either made his hand or not, and can make an easy decision.

Andy.