View Single Post
Old 10-12-2001, 06:28 AM

Default Re: stealing, struggling, surviving, giving up

Hi,

Thanks for the replies; helpful as always. Jellow, thank you for the face slap regarding QJ.

Andy: I have never seen anyone reraise the bully player. Never. So I have no clue what he might do. His reputation is that of a wild player, and he certainly rebuys a lot, but he seems to know how to push a big stack around. His reputed wildness and my relatively teensy stack would tend to suggest he'll call if I reraise.

Here's another situation that came up that round, which I'd like your thoughts on so I can get things clear. I have 1700 with blinds of 100-100, doubling before they get to me. 15 players in, 9 paid, something like 50000 chips in play. Bully makes it 600 UTG, all pass to me with QJ (again!).

Suppose I think he'll always call. Is my hand good enough to reraise all-in? It could win unimproved, but he could easily have an A or K. However, he's been in every pot. Hmmm. QJ is so marginal for an all-in situation. I am scared here. What do you think?

Suppose I think he'll only call with real hands. Surely I'm going all-in now? As you say, it's +EV in terms of chips, but I don't think that's really the issue here: more important is that it's +EV in terms of tournament return, because if I don't get some chips in my stack soon, I will be guaranteed a zero payout.

So the chances of winning the pot right here, plus the chances of catching a decent board and doubling up, make this an easy decision. How am I doing on this one?

Thanks again,

Guy.