View Single Post
Old 10-04-2001, 01:38 AM

Default Playing AJ and AQ?

Rookie help needed on playing AQ and AJ...

Shorthanded or late in the tournament seems more straightforward, ie you can be (fairly) aggressive with these hands. But what about early on, when the blinds are still small?

Am not sure whether I should put in a small raise to stop blinds flopping two rag pair, or if this is pointless and just gives the strength of my hand away. Early on, should I always just call with them (presuming no huge raises)? Obviously position (as ever) matters, and how many callers - if I'm in late position and there are a few callers I'll just limp, but if it's folded to me in, say, middle position, I might put a small raise in. Basically not sure at all how to play these!

Also, post flop - say there are 3 more players in, and I flop top 2 pair - how do u bet? This happened last night, flopped aces and jacks, but there were 2 hearts on board so was concerned about flush and straight coming up on turn so put in reasonably big bet (not massive) and everyone just folded to me. Should I risk the draws to get more out of the pot, if there isnt a lot in it already? I mean, if the pot is tiny I probably will just make a small bet...

Any solutions to my confusion gratefully received!