View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Jacks Misplayed?

Live game. Final stages of a small tournament (five players left, top 2 get paid) and I am the BB with slightly better than middle stack. UTG limps (stack is only slightly larger than mine), next folds, Button Limps, SB Limps, I check with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB Checks. Table is loose and I don't want any flush draws sticking around so I bet 2.5 times the pot. Next calls, Button and SB fold. I put the caller squarely on 2 clubs. Turn is a K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I push all in for a pot sized bet with my set. Opponent asks me if I have KJ and I tell him no, I have a set, he say "well, I'm on a draw, I call" and turns over the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Needless to say the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] falls on the river to give him the flush and bust me out.

My question is this. Should I have been resigned to the fact that he was goin to call me down with his draw and checked the turn to save some chips if he catches, or do I push all in knowing that he is going to call. I usually want to push in and get the call here but someone suggested I might have played it too aggressively. Any thought?