View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 01:16 AM

Default Re: How good is this advice??

HPFAP is for the novice as well as the advanced player. I suggest that you re-read Lee's book and look for the principles involved. Principles are a little elusive but they are there. They are usually in the form of things not to do, like semi-bluffing a calling station. Why do you raise with pocket aces? Why is AJ offsuit or KJ offsuit dangerous hands that can usually be dumped in a raised pot? A classic of mine is what do you do with AA on the button when there is a straddle and 5 or more callers? Really look at starting hand theory and why certain hands don't play well under certain conditions and why others do. Learn the different flop types and how the starting hands apply to them.

For the most part, you are playing in a game that requires showing the best hand. For your game and what you are seeking, rely on the pot odds with respect to your draws. Try to learn the strength of your hand with respect to the board. Estimate what odds your opponent needs for each round. Learn how to put a read on your opponent. If you know what cards your opponent holds, the rest is easy. In my most perfect game, $15-30 at Bellagios a few years ago, I was doing it all, knowing the odds of my draw, the strength of my hand versus the field, and the cards my opponents held as well as the odds to their draws. I had a beautiful pyramid in front of me. There is no other way to play.