View Single Post
Old 06-03-2002, 10:33 AM

Default Re: How good is this advice??

There are a lot of things to think about here. Since this post is so long, I'll just comment on a couple of things.

Main thing of playing heads up is the control of the betting. Now, controlling the betting does not necessarily mean you have to bet every time. The concept of this is that when you want the money in the pot, it gets into the pot, and when you don't, there is no bet. It's that simple. But to accomplish this, it takes great skills.

To begin with when playing heads-up, you determine the type of opposition you are facing. Is he aggressive, super aggressive, passive, tight, or will he battle every hand with you until the finish.

Not having the opposition able to read your style is the difference between

winning and losing.

I think this is right on. I think aggression per se is often over-rated, but the concept of controling the betting is good. Especially good is controling the betting without the opposition realzing what your are doing.

Object of the game is to get the money called when you have the best of it and have free cards given to you with the worse of it.

I don't quite agree with this. I think it's the right way to think against certain types of opposition (in particular, opponents who don't fold as often as they should), but against opponents who fold too much (or fold at the correct frequency) you want to think more in terms of getting them to fold their hands when you have the worse of it than of getting free cards.

For example, say you raise on the flop with a draw that can only win if you catch your draw or your opponent folds. Do you continue betting on the flop, or do you take a free card? Against a calling station type opponent who doesn't fold as often as he should, you take the free card. Against most opponents, however, you're better off betting hoping that your opponent will fold or you make your hand.

When you semi-bluff a drawing hand, you can either play for a free card or try to win the pot through aggression, but not both (you can't have your cake and eat it too). You have to decide which way to go. I think against most opponents you're better off trying to win the pot.